• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BigBadBob

The One and Only BBB
29 Badges
Nov 1, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hallo! I see you've stumbled onto my humble little AAR. Welcome.

First and foremost I must thank those who showed me the ropes of creating one of these monumental projects: Boris Ze Spider, Tanzhang, Brandenburg III, Tommy4ever, Lusen, Alexspeed, badger_ken and TekcoR. Without them, this would not have been possible.

If you're still reading, this AAR will be pretty straightforward, I'll explain what happened in my playthrough by quoting fictional works from this alternate history, biographies and such, but the main body of the work will come from James Richard Powell's 1957 book:

Spreading the Eagle’s Wings
The Birth of the American Superpower

Contents
[post=11792707]Foreword and Chapter One[/post]
[post=11796502]Chapter Two[/post]
[post=11809083]Chapter Three[/post]
[post=11815660]Chapter Four[/post]
[post=11826366]Chapter Five[/post]
[post=11832865]Chapter Six[/post]
[post=11843116]Chapter Seven[/post]
[post=11850077]Chapter Eight[/post]
[post=11861231]Chapter Nine[/post]
[post=11869624]Chapter Ten[/post]
[post=11881434]Chapter Eleven[/post]
[post=11889817]Chapter Twelve[/post]
[post=11903853]Chapter Thirteen[/post]
[post=11912893]Chapter Fourteen[/post]
[post=11926058]Chapter Fifteen[/post]
[post=11932392]Chapter Sixteen[/post]
[post=11942092]Chapter Seventeen[/post]
[post=11944981]Chapter Eighteen[/post]

Further Reading
[post=11816112]Diaz's Diary[/post]
[post=11826372]The Two Andrews[/post]
[post=11833188]Mexico 1848-1900[/post]
[post=11900311]Snow-Blind[/post]
[post=11932842]War is Hell[/post]
[post=11942216]The End of it All[/post]

Further Reading (Beyond '36)
[post=12010154]Foreword to Beyond '36[/post]
[post=12010160]The Foundations of a War[/post]
[post=12013913]Clarification of Austro-Hungarian Government[/post]
[post=12013996]Stage One[/post]
[post=12023608]Stage Two[/post]
[post=12034855]Stage Three[/post]
[post=12060691]Stage Four[/post]
[post=12081519]Copenhagen[/post]
[post=12161863]China, 1952-1957[/post]
[post=12241747]Revolution, Liberty and Culture: The 1960's[/post]
[post=12319591]The President and Victor Charlie[/post]
[post=12668701]The Death of the Dream[/post]​

Foreword
Historians have many differing views on when America began its rise to power. Some place it as early as the declaration of independence, or the end of the Revolutionary War. Some place it as late as the end of the Civil War, but most historians have settled on 1836 and America’s intervention in the Texan struggle for independence. Thus this book too shall start with that fateful year.

us18362.jpg

The United States of America, circa. 1836

Chapter One
Destined for Greatness

In 1836, none of the European powers would have guessed that America would one day be pushing them around. The nation was large, but empty, with a population of only 16.5 million, most of them farmers.

us1836pop.jpg

US cencus for 1835

The government was run by the Democratic Party, backed by a universally conservative upper house, though Liberals had recently been more active in their aspirations to government, almost getting one of their number into congress in 1835.

uspolitic1836.jpg

Congress and political structure of the United States, January 1836

Industrially speaking, the United States was weak, nowhere near the levels of Britain and other European Powers.
The military was also small, only just more capable than neighboring Mexico’s, much less Britain’s American Colonial Force (ACF).
However, things were about to change. On January 1st 1836, the Mexican colony of Texas declared its independence. The United States of America saw an opportunity…

Last edited:
I like American AARs, so I'm subscribed. Colonize Canada as much as you can. Then taking the rest won't seem as rude. Remember, there's an open invitation in the Constitution for the Canadian colonies to join the USA.

i actually think there was a typo in the Declaration of Independence. it was supposed to be United States of (the) AmericaS. so thats pretty much an open invitation to Canada down to Argentina ;)

Myself, I prefer the idea of Canada annexing the rest of the USA to it, or at least a few key areas: but that's just me.... ;) I have a weakness for bilingualism (hell, omnilingualism! Give me babel or give me death!), and always wish it had been more present when I was growing up. Ah, but enough of that - to the AAR!

First off, I really loved your dedication in the beginning. It's not related to the AAR itself, but it's a swell thing to do. Mad props. :) The meat of the AAR seems really good too, however - and this James Powell guy sounds like he's got a good grasp on the American psyche! ;) Of course, we have yet to see what exactly the opportunity the US saw was. Being a fan of cliffhangers, I'm on the edge o' my seat here. Keep it coming!

Colonize Canada as much as you can. Then taking the rest won't seem as rude. Remember, there's an open invitation in the Constitution for the Canadian colonies to join the USA.

I'm not a very imperialistic player, but one of my objectives is definitely to see some form of independence for Canada. The Brits are a War of Containment waiting to happen, and weakening their position on the continent is a priority.

If anyone is wondering about it: Updates will be weekly, with some special exceptions. One of these will be Chapter Two.

Van5: As I said, I'm not very imperialistic, but I do intend to take all "Manifest Destiny" territory from Mexico and reduce them to a crippled and humiliated shell of their former selves. :D The Caribbean you say? (Rubs hands together and cackles menacingly).

Communitarian!: I too am a fan of bilingualism, being more than fluent in both English and Finnish:D, but sadly being forced to take French since the fourth grade :)mad:) has left me unsympathetic toward the language and its speakers. :(

Last edited:
I may not like America that much, but I do love AmericAARs a lot!

Personally I'm against any intervention with Canada. Canada gives you nowhere to go save Alaska while Mexico leads to the USCA, and to Colombia and to the rest of South America! Mwahahahahaha!

Also, you really should put a link in your signature...

Hallo! I see you've stumbled onto my humble little AAR. Welcome.

congrats and thanks for taking the plunge into AAR-land!

Industrially speaking, the United States was weak, nowhere near the levels of Britain and other European Powers.

Dude, I know the grass is always greener on the other side and all, but I believe the US starts with the 3rd or 4th biggest industrial score in the world! If you want 'weak', try playing Mexico, Persia, or Denmark, for example, just to pick 3 not-that-random countries :)

The military was also small, only just more capable than neighboring Mexico’s, much less Britain’s American Colonial Force (ACF).

I posted this in another forum a while back - I was reading a history book recently which said that the total size of the US army in 1836 was 15K soldiers! So the puny US army in the game is actually over-powered compared to history. Amazing. BTW, the reason much of the army starts in FLA is because it had just finished beating up on the Seminoles - good on Paradox for reflecting this allocation.

Dude, I know the grass is always greener on the other side and all, but I believe the US starts with the 3rd or 4th biggest industrial score in the world! If you want 'weak', try playing Mexico, Persia, or Denmark, for example, just to pick 3 not-that-random countries :)

BTW, the reason much of the army starts in FLA is because it had just finished beating up on the Seminoles - good on Paradox for reflecting this allocation.

I admit, I may have exaggerated a bit, but I have a reasoning behind it: The first chapter is supposed to emphasize how great a feat America's rise to power was. This is probably because "J. R. Powell" is an American, writing only about 3 decades after something that confirmed the US as numero uno (I sure hope something like that's gonna happen), and he's a bit of a patriot (which is why most of the material that presents the US less favorably will be from other sources, such as an excerpts from athe bioraphies of various people).

As for the Seminoles: Wow. I'm a complete history nut and I didn't know that! Thanks.

Last edited:
I admit, I may have exaggerated a bit, but I have a reasoning behind it: The first chapter is supposed to emphasize how great a feat America's rise to power was. This is probably because "J. R. Powell" is an American, writing only about 3 decades after something that confirmed the US as numero uno (I sure hope something like that's gonna happen), and he's a bit of a patriot (which is why most of the material that presents the US less favorably will be from other sources, such as an excerpts from athe bioraphies of various people).

oh, ok, sounds good!

Myself, I prefer the idea of Canada annexing the rest of the USA to it, or at least a few key areas: but that's just me.... ;) I have a weakness for bilingualism (hell, omnilingualism! Give me babel or give me death!), and always wish it had been more present when I was growing up. Ah, but enough of that - to the AAR!

First off, I really loved your dedication in the beginning. It's not related to the AAR itself, but it's a swell thing to do. Mad props. :) The meat of the AAR seems really good too, however - and this James Powell guy sounds like he's got a good grasp on the American psyche! ;) Of course, we have yet to see what exactly the opportunity the US saw was. Being a fan of cliffhangers, I'm on the edge o' my seat here. Keep it coming!

Well you could argue that America is billingual
I mean there are over 35 Million people who speak spanish Thats close to the entire Canadian population is it not?

Next update will be up tomorrow, after which I'll move to a regular update time of every Sunday. Barring some sort of horrible accident, and I may post some minor stuff every once in a while that expands on this alternate history.

Your signatures a bit .... big. IIRC text that size breaks the rules on sigs.

Anyway with a couple of ahistorical USA AARs already out there its nice to have a straight up democratic US AAR.

Chapter Two
Texas? Why in God's name do we want to help Texas?

These were the words of Senator Daniel Webster on the 3rd of January 1836, upon hearing that America had pledged to aid Texas in its war of independence, if necessary, with military intervention. The Senator, along with many of his colleagues, was completely at loss as to what possible use there would be to aiding the small, seemingly doomed country. As it later turned out, more than President Jackson had dared to imagine in his wildest dreams.

texasalliance.png

A modern representation of the report Senators like Webster received on the morning of January 3rd

The Army of Texas did not fare well in its war of independence, losing two thirds of its manpower in brutal battles near the border. Santa Anna’s Cuerpo Ejerictos had then split into two sections, North and South, and occupied the cities of Austin and San Antonio. The Texan government, seeing that it was about to lose the war, turned to the only nation that had promised to help. On March 28th, the Mexican ambassador was handed a Declaration of War.
American forces, massed on the Texas-US border near Shreveport, immediately began a march toward Austin. Upon arrival US forces were met by ghost town. The Cuerpo Ejercitos Del Norte however, was far from gone. They attacked the US forces in the flank. Possessing superior training, the Americans quickly turned the tide, and the badly mauled Mexicans retreated on May 5th.

austinvictory.jpg

Casualties sustained during the Battle of Austin, compared with initial numbers and survivors

American Forces then took a short rest, of about two days, before circumstances forced them to march toward San Antonio. The Mexican force in San Antonio was larger and commanded by Santa Anna himself, but US generals were confident that they could win this one. They were right, although US forces suffered much higher losses than the Mexicans. San Antonio confirmed that the war was going to end in a Texan/American victory, but Santa Anna’s stubbornness would drag the war well into 1837.

sanantoniowin.jpg

Casualties for the battle of San Antonio

Santa Anna’s army retreated into Mexico with the bulk of the American army in hot pursuit. The Great Chase as it was named, finally ended on July 18th, 1837, in Phoenix, when Santa Anna was captured during a raid by a brigade of the 1st US Dragoons, removing the final obstacle to peace. The Mexican government signed the peace treaty on July 23rd. Texas had won its independence.
This however was not to last long, for even as the Texan government celebrated victory, it came to realize that it had become dependent on the United States to secure its independence. In a meeting on August 16th the Texan government decided to apply for Statehood. To this day, Texans claim it was the first recorded use of the phrase “If you can’t beat them, join them”.

teasstate.jpg

Despite the fact that he hadn’t been President since March, the Texan government insisted that Andrew Jackson sign the contract admitting Texas Statehood

Texans finally felt secure, Americans felt vindicated about the war in Texas and Mexicans were stunned at the sudden change in their fortunes. Jackson’s gamble had paid off.

Last edited:
Guys. Not trying to push you or anything, but it would mean a lot to my sanity if you posted your thoughts on my updates. I can't gauge popular opinion by just checking the amount of views.
With utter respect and humility,
The writer.

Guys. Not trying to push you or anything, but it would mean a lot to my sanity if you posted your thoughts on my updates. I can't gauge popular opinion by just checking the amount of views.
With utter respect and humility,
The writer.

hey bob, you will find you get a lot more readers than posters - it's a lonely life :)
FWIW, I thought your update was great - looking forwards to more!

hey bob, you will find you get a lot more readers than posters - it's a lonely life :)
FWIW, I thought your update was great - looking forwards to more!

I know, I know, (sigh). So lonely, but I was merely hoping that a slightly larger percentage of those readers would air their thoughts.

Sometimes it pays to be patient, more often it pays to read and comment on other AARs ;)

Personally, I don't know where to go in regards to a comment. You got Texas, that's nice. However you didn't give us any details on the situation at home, or the USA's future ambitions. For future updates maybe you should share a little more on the present situation, but hey, that's up to you.

For one, I would like to know what you're researching currently.

I decided not to include research progress that much in the AAR, but the following updates will concentrate A LOT on the situation at home.
PS. Thanks for the advice.